WARREN, MI – A 37-year-old Michigan man has been charged with the murder of a 6-year-old boy, the boy’s father, and the boy’s father’s girlfriend.
Nicholas Raad Bahri of Bloomfield Hills is accused of the “execution-style killing” of 6-year-old Tai’raz Moore and 28-year-old Isis Rimson at a home on Otis Street in Warren on Oct. 1.
Detroit police also found the body of 32-year-old Tukoyo Moore, Tai’raz’s father, in a torched car around the same time. Bahri is also charged with his murder.
When asked about motive for the murders on Tuesday, Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer simply said “It was all about drugs and money. I’ll leave it at that” but noted that the suspect and victims did know each other.
Macomb County Judge john M. Chmura found probable cause for all 15 counts against Bahri, who has an extensive criminal history, in 37th District Court in Warren on Tuesday.
Bahri is charged with three counts of first-degree homicide, three counts of felony murder, six counts of using a firearm to commit a felony, third degree arson, possessing a firearm as a felon and mutilation of a dead body. Bond was denied and the court will appoint an attorney for Bahri, per his request.
“I don’t know what more a person can do to show they’re a danger to society,” Warren Police Det. Jim Twardesky said at the arraignment.
Bahri was identified as a person of interest last week. Dwyer said the teamwork between his department and the Detroit Police Department was a big reason the suspect was identified, arrested and charged so quickly.
Dwyer has called on federal involvement in prosecuting the case, calling for the death penalty.
“Only monsters, or godless creatures would pull the trigger and execute a 6-year-old child,” Dwyer said on Oct. 9. “When you murder an innocent 6-year-old baby. The person or persons responsible deserve the death penalty.”
Dwyer has had initial communication with federal authorities and the U.S. Attorney General, but he did not have an update on potential federal charges on Tuesday.
The death penalty has been constitutionally banned in Michigan since 1963.
“I know this is a very difficult time,” Dwyer said, addressing family of the victims. “But justice will prevail. It’s going to be very difficult for the next several months. Maybe for the next several years. Maybe for the rest of your lives. But God be with you.”
A probable cause hearing is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on Oct. 22 and a preliminary examination is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on Oct. 29.