women

Coronavirus cluster at Attleboro hospital on heels of outbreak at Brigham and Women’s illustrates continuing challenges

Officials at Sturdy Memorial Hospital in Attleboro say a cluster of COVID-19 cases there has expanded to at least four patients and 10 employees in the past week, while Brigham and Women’s Hospital now counts at least 52 patients and employees linked to its September outbreak, illustrating the continuing challenges of containing an aggressive virus as infections rise statewide.

On Sept. 29, Sturdy closed its Balfour surgical wing, where the cluster is believed to have originated, to new patients, and has prohibited visitors to the entire hospital until further notice. So far, all patients and employees who have tested positive are linked to the Balfour wing, said Dr. Brian Patel, the hospital’s chief of emergency services.

“We have tested several hundred employees to be on the safe side and are trying to do everything we can to contain further transmission,” Patel said. “It’s still not clear to our infection control

Read More Read more
wedding

After wedding outbreak, Millinocket area has gone over a month without a new virus case

While an early August wedding in the Millinocket area sparked Maine’s largest outbreak of the coronavirus, that part of the state has now gone more than a month without recording any new cases.

State and local officials think the quick decisions by people in Millinocket, East Millinocket and Medway to close down businesses and organizations in the immediate wake of that outbreak, and to step up mask wearing, probably helped to bring it under control.

Town offices and businesses were closed after the outbreak. Local schools delayed their opening by two weeks. The Millinocket hospital postponed a number of nonessential services.

Those three towns still have recorded some of the highest infection rates in the state since the start of the pandemic: East Millinocket, which saw 20 cases among residents after the wedding, still has the state’s fourth highest per-capita case rate, for example. But the last time either of

Read More Read more
wedding

COVID-19 outbreak at Oshawa wedding yields eight new cases so far

The Durham Region Health Department is urging guests and staff to come forward after an COVID-19 outbreak at a wedding at Oshawa’s Caribbean Cultural Centre on Sept. 19.

According to the department, about 50 guests and eight to 10 staff and volunteers were in attendance, resulting in eight positive cases of COVID-19 so far.

“It is very important that individuals who participated in this wedding contact us as soon as possible to allow Health Department staff to provide appropriate followup,” said Dr. Pepi McTavish, Durham region assistant medical officer of health, in a news release.

Two workplaces have also been contacted for further investigation.

Anyone who attended the event is encouraged to call the Health Department at 905-668-4113, ext. 2680.

Ann Marie Elpa

Source Article Read More

Read more
wedding

Oshawa wedding declared an outbreak event after eight people test positive for COVID-19

Attendees of a wedding held in Oshawa earlier this month are being urged to contact public health officials after eight people tested positive for COVID-19.

In a news release issued Wednesday, Durham Region said that those who attended the Sept. 19 event at the Caribbean Cultural Centre, located near Colonel Sam Drive and Farewell Street, may have been exposed to the disease.

About 50 guests were at the wedding, officials said, as well as eight to 10 staff and an unspecified number of volunteers.

“The Health Department has been notified of eight cases of COVID-19 associated with this event and is having difficulty obtaining a full list of attendees and their contact information,” the release reads.

“As a result of the eight positive cases of COVID-19, an outbreak has been declared at this wedding that took place at the Caribbean Cultural Centre.”

Officials say they are also in contact with

Read More Read more
women

Brigham and Women’s Latest to Battle In-House COVID Outbreak

Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston is experiencing an outbreak of COVID-19 among patients and staff, which the facility blames partly on lapses in infection control practices by employees.

The hospital, a Harvard Medical School teaching facility, reported on September 26 that 23 employees and 11 patients tested positive as a result of exposure within the hospital. The outbreak was first detected on September 22, and cases have risen with increased testing. The hospital said it had tested 400 employees and 54 patients as of September 26.

Brigham and Women’s is not alone in trying to keep COVID-19 from rearing its head within its walls. Hospitals and health departments reported an outbreak in late August in Washington and in early September at a hospital in Connecticut.

The Boston Globe reported in late September that Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Plymouth and New England Baptist Hospital both had recent outbreaks at their facilities,

Read More Read more