PROVO — Handyman Mike Bate headed for his black Ford 150 pickup truck at 8 a.m. to go home. He’d been at the golf course all night sawing pieces of railroad ties for tee box markers.
This simple act by a guy with a sawzall tool and his all-nighter a week ago is symbolic of the work put into creating a new face and name at the old East Bay Golf Club. The course has endured the brunt of developmental hacks, scraps and scars since its inception in 1923, even before there was a Yankee Stadium in Gotham.
Provo golfers have been pulled like a yo-yo. Bounced like a pinball.
From now on, it will be known by its historical name, Timpanogos Golf Club, and the facility is now a state-of-the art golf billboard reflecting the most dominating geographical feature in Utah Valley. It also provides a full